More
    HomeRussiaStoltenberg announced NATO's readiness to intervene in the situation around Kosovo

    Stoltenberg announced NATO's readiness to intervene in the situation around Kosovo

    Published on

    During a joint press conference in Brussels, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic discussed the escalation in northern Kosovo in early August. Then, against the backdrop of the ban on Serbian documents and car numbers, the military was drawn to the border between the countries, barricades were erected in a number of cities, and fire clashes were recorded.

    Stoltenberg declared NATO’s readiness to take measures to guarantee security and maintain freedom of movement in Kosovo. Vučić, in turn, reported that Serbia would not send troops to Kosovo, and statements about preparations for a military conflict are made to discredit the actions of Belgrade.

    Nevertheless, Stoltenberg noted that the alliance considers dialogue the only way to resolve and prevent escalation. He explained that the organization intends to remain a neutral party and will not be involved in the conflict. NATO continues to closely monitor the situation, he said.

    “This will be proportionate and will reflect the needs and challenges we may face. But the very fact that about four thousand of our troops are in Kosovo demonstrates our strong involvement, contributes to defusing the situation,” Stoltenberg added. military operation in Kosovo and declared the danger of using the current political situation against Belgrade. He also asked the North Atlantic Alliance to carefully study the situation in Kosovo and indicate, as it claims, where and when Serbian forces crossed the administrative line or border. region, according to them, it should have happened five months, four months, three months, two months ago, but so far it has not happened. Which means they lied and no one said anything about that narrative,” he said.

    The journalists also asked Vučić if there were plans to create a Russian military base in Serbia. The President rejected this possibility and noted that Serbia is a military-neutral state and only wants to “keep peace, defend its own heaven and earth, its people and population”, and will behave like this in the future.

    Before that, Russian Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary in Belgrade Alexander Botsan-Kharchenko said that the creation of a Russian military base in Serbia is the sovereign affair of Belgrade and Moscow. He stressed that this issue is also important for Russia as part of the continuation of military-technical cooperation between the two countries.

    On August 12, Vucic said that the Kosovo authorities would continue their actions until they captured the north of the autonomous region inhabited by Serbs. Belgrade, according to him, is “ready to preserve peace at almost any cost”, “until they start killing” representatives of the Serbian people.

    The danger of a “black hole”

    The statements of Stoltenberg and Vučić were commented on by Deputy Speaker of the Federation Council Konstantin Kosachev. He recalled that NATO’s intervention in the situation with Yugoslavia led to the death of civilians and the appearance on the map of Europe of a “black hole” in the form of Kosovo, RIA Novosti reports.

    “NATO forces have already intervened in situation in 1999, violating all possible and impossible norms of international law. The result was a violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the then Yugoslavia, the death of more than 2.5 thousand civilians, the subsequent suffering of people who experienced the effects of depleted uranium warheads, ”Kosachev said.

    The result of NATO intervention was and the emergence of a “black hole” on the map of Europe – Kosovo, “known in the world except for the trade in human organs, massive violations of the rights of the Serbian population of the region and other clearly criminal manifestations of quasi-sovereignty”, he noted.

    Delayed War

    Kosovo authorities have banned Serbian citizens living in Kosovo from August 1, 2022 year to show Serbian documents and ordered to use a temporary identity card during his visit to the unrecognized republic. Serbs were also obliged to obtain Kosovo license plates. Against the backdrop of protests, the Kosovo authorities postponed the innovations to September 1, 2022.

    By the evening of July 31, the first shots were fired on the border of Kosovo and Serbia. An air raid alert was heard in Kosovska Mitrovica. The Kosovo police closed the administrative point of the Brnjak crossing into Serbia.

    Vučić later announced that the Kosovo army was planning to attack Serbia. According to him, detachments of Kosovo police have already gone to Yarinya and Brnjak. There were also reports that the Serbian military entered Kosovo, but the Belgrade Ministry of Defense denied this information. Following this, the Kosovo police reported shots being fired at their employees, there were no dead or wounded.

    Later, Vučić arrived at the Serbian General Staff, where he addressed the nation. He said that he asked the international community to influence the leadership of Kosovo and expressed hope for detente of the situation in the republic.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest articles

    Banks stopped accepting dollars and euros through ATMs

    Russian banks have stopped accepting dollars and euros through ATMs, Izvestia found out. ...

    Zelensky warned the EU against a non-European decision on exports from Ukraine

    President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky called the decision on the possible extension of restrictions...

    China warns against turning internet into 'battlefield'

    The Chinese authorities opposed the transformation of the Internet into a battlefield, as well...

    The activist told Izvestia about the mood of the protesters in Israel

    For now, the citizens of Israel are opting for peaceful forms of protest against...

    More like this

    Banks stopped accepting dollars and euros through ATMs

    Russian banks have stopped accepting dollars and euros through ATMs, Izvestia found out. ...

    Zelensky warned the EU against a non-European decision on exports from Ukraine

    President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky called the decision on the possible extension of restrictions...

    China warns against turning internet into 'battlefield'

    The Chinese authorities opposed the transformation of the Internet into a battlefield, as well...